Thursday, March 20, 2014

LIFE'S PROBLEMS...


 
 
I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/g/georgewash106159.html#FEQhzQVjpVTo8Vcj.99
I must admit that lately I've been like Snoopy...thinking about life's problems as I lie awake, trying to fall asleep.  Okay, I know...I know, that's not a good thing...it is not. 
 
But hey, there are so many problems...you know, lost airliners...Russia taking Crimea...our government countering...Bieber's in a mess...who's spying on who...what to do when you can't get health insurance...invasion of privacy...and good grief, we're already in campaign mode...oh wait, we've never been out.  Enough, enough already...gimme' a break!
 
And then?  For starters, along comes something so sweet...like?
 
Like Spring...Spring...
20th of March is the first day of glorious, wonderful, bouncy Spring!!! 
Hey, that's today...today!!!
 
Looked out our front door a few days ago and surprise...our  grape hyacinths have popped up in the front yard and are scattered everywhere around the house.  Not as abundant as in the past but considering how dry its been?  Lookin' beautiful to us...we don't have a landscaped yard...we have a sort of 'natural' one...we like it that way...naturally!
 
Across the street there are clumps of bright yellow jonquils showing off...reminded me of M's sister.  There were always yellow jonquils blooming for her birthday...she's been gone for sixteen years...too soon!
 
And the birds?  Oh, talk about happy...they've been singing for several days and we love it.  Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal flit around...never far apart; I saw him passing food to her the other day...how nice of him.  We have woodpeckers, lots of blue-jays, a busy little wren...a big assortment of other smaller birds...along with the travelers stopping off for water...robins and doves are hanging around...all the birds are pretty 'cat savvy' and know the routine!  Ha!
 

 
Anyway, all of this makes me smile...makes me happy.  Not that I've been unhappy, it's just been so easy to let the cares of the world invade my space and turn things upside down...rats.
 
24/7 flow of information is a good thing...back when we didn't know so much so quickly was it so worrisome?  I don't know.  But, I remember something very vividly from 1945...lots of you weren't born then so
I'll bring you up to date.
 
President Franklin D. Roosevelt had been our President for twelve years...thank goodness three terms is no longer possible...and he died on Thursday, April 12th 1945. 
 
I was living in Van Nuys, California with my parents and four siblings...a 14 year old Sophomore in high school.  A friend and I always walked to school together and on this particular morning, the morning following the President's death,  I flooded her with my concerns about 'our world' and how Roosevelt's death would affect us.  Poor Harry Truman was naturally our new president and I wasn't so sure about him then.  There I was at 14...the cares of the world. 

 
I've never forgotten that and it's vivid in my memory bank...oh wow, that was such a long time ago.  Guess I began wondering about things from the get-go.  My mother must've had a strange diet when she was carrying me...what in the world? 
 
Oh well, lots and lots of people wonder about things...do you? 
 
Do you wonder how in the world
God can be everywhere 24/7 and knows every time a sparrow falls?
Do you wonder how in the world
He can count the hairs on our heads when we've no idea?
Do you wonder how in the world
He knows what all of us are thinking all the time?
I couldn't begin to list all the 'wonders'...no way, ever!
I am filled with wonder after wonder after wonder! 
 
And wonders never cease...today, I read that in southern Israel, the river Zin, which drains into the Dead Sea, is about 75 miles long and runs through the Negev Desert. While it's referred to as a river, usually only its dry bed can be seen; it rarely holds any water due to the arid desert conditions.  It hasn't had water in it for many years!  But wait...
 
Last week, on March 14,  that changed when heavy rainfall on mountains miles away caused water to run down and fill the riverbed. After years of seeing a dry creek bed, villagers gathered to see the water pour down.  Some said, "you can feel the new life that flows with this." 

Friday is World Down Syndrome Day...today I watched a video featuring children of different nationalities and ages who are all Down Syndrome.  The most beautiful people ever...bright eyes...sparkling smiles...speaking to mothers all over the world.  I've had many friends who had Down Syndrome children; one of my friends had two...a boy and a girl.  Watching this video today and even writing about it brings tears and touches my heart so, oh so much.  They are telling the world that mother's don't need to be afraid to have children like them...such a wonder!

These and many other wonders fill me with tremendous awe and slams the door on...life's problems. 

I don't know any life problems.

I know this...Spring has come and God is still in control...as He always has been and always will be.

Holy God,
Please forgive my foolish heart when I allow it to be filled with such trivial matters...mundane things.
I am so thankful to be one of your children...
You have so many and yet you watch over me as if I were an only child.
How then can I be so blindsided by the 'Evil One' and allow him to take over?
I know better, I honestly do and I ask your forgiveness for losing sight of the best in life, the good things, the heart-warming beautiful things...all the things you make possible.
Thank you for the living water that you continually give me...and for loving me no matter what.
In Your Son's Wonderful Name, Amen.

From my heart...to yours,
Vasca

1 comment:

  1. Your prayer was touching and very much applicable to our age. I had a downs syndrome sister for 44 yrs. Wonderful memories. I still think of her often. Love to you. El

    ReplyDelete