Saturday, March 1, 2014

WANTED...


The biggest disease today is not leprosy or tuberculosis,
but rather the feeling of being unwanted.
- Mother Teresa

 
Have you ever had the feeling that you weren't wanted?  Well, it's possible that you were voted the 'most popular student'...'most handsome or beautiful' in your class...chosen first in every game or sport.  Then again, perhaps you were chosen last (or not chosen at all) and wished you could crawl in a hole.  Ever been to a party and no one paid you any mind at all...'oh, I didn't know you were there...we had the best time'.
 
I was a physical klutz in school; added to that, I so dreaded enrolling in a new school every year.  We moved often because that's the way it was in the oilfields the first sixteen years of my life...that was my dad's love...'the rig'.  
 
He loved taking us with him as he checked the 'rig' on weekends; that gave him special times w/us...that was good...he was special!  When I became an eligible 'young lady' he invited every single geologist to have dinner with us (they came, of course)...was he trying to find me a suitable hubby, you think?  Well, mother one-upped him and found Michael; she fell for him...hook, line and sinker! 
 
Hey, being a social butterfly...or lion is not required for success; lots of people are quiet...or shy...or simply enjoy quietness or privacy.  Then again I think there are many who are really overlooked  and might feel rejected!  I know someone like that...and it really affected their personality.  Rather like 'the Invisible Person'.  Never invited to go along...be a drag for the others.  Hurt, hurt, hurt...that never changed.
 
Excluding others goes on all the time; most people don't mean to be unkind, I suppose it's human nature, you think?  Then again, I've known some who actually enjoyed being unkind.
 
Okay, on occasion, I admit treating others with a twinge of maliciousness...my bad indeed!  Such carelessness was due to 'what I like...who I like' compounded by taking everything 'personally'...another oops.   
 
I've undergone changes that were honestly needed...concerning my impressions, feelings and actions about and toward others. 
 
I think I've told you before that I am a 'people watcher'; I don't mean that I 'check them out'...I just notice...really notice them.      

 
 
Here's the point; one might compare reading tea leaves to establishing eye contact.   It comes natural to me.  I've had acquaintances who would not/could not make eye contact and I always felt an invisible tow line trying to pull their line of sight to mine...my eyes wanted to see theirs!
 
Really checking out eyes?  Could be one whose feelings have been hurt...could be someone with an addiction...someone angry with the world...could be a partner in a troubled relationship...a teen/pre-teen/even a younger child with troubles at home they can't share with parents?  Hey, could even have some thankfulness or good news to share...no harm in looking...is there? 
 
What if...someone like you or me looked into their eyes...recognized something there...reached out and touched their hearts...showing an interest in 'how are things...how's life in your corner'?
 
I'm into 'the eyes have it'...and I do my best to use the senses God gave me for helping others. 
 
So...here's to checkin' out your 'peepers'! 
 
From my heart to yours,
Vasca

No comments:

Post a Comment