Tuesday, December 2, 2014

READY...SET...GO...


Christmas waves a magic wand over this world,
and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful. 
Norman Vincent Peale
 
Okay folks, ready or not, it's here!  Holiday time...began Thanksgiving Day running until New Year's Day...the season we look forward to all year. 
 
What?  Not? 
 
Okay, so what if many people lose their 'jollies' and dread this season?  Not so much a bah-humbug thing as a totally worn-out thing.  Oh no, spending money on gifts one really doesn't want to give...don't want to go to their parents home/don't want to go to yours...you possibly braved the Black Friday crowds and your credit card is zapped...already?
 
Too many Christmas parties? 
Guess one must be selective and not overdo the schedule... 
too much baking, eating...celebrating en masse! 
Wow...things tend to drown a person...if caution is thrown to the wind.                                              
 
Some are sick of those Christmas carols before they even began playing!
Is that it?          
Hey, they only play for one season a year.                                                                           
 
Football, baseball, basketball, etc. have their seasons and people
go bonkers over their favorites; the sky's the limit. 
Why the angst over seasonal music...listen and be warm.                                                 
                                         
So many beautiful decorations have been put up and out...
they're sparkling...beautiful.
                                              

Trees of all shapes, sizes...any type you want...
decorated with everything from soup to nuts. 

Speaking of nuts, when I was growing up
our big treat at Christmas was my Dad bringing home
bags of big navel oranges, apples and lots of nuts...
the kind you crack!

Simplicity reigned and we were given one gift...exciting. 
 
 
Eleanor Roosevelt said: "Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others,
you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give."
 
Personally, I absolutely love this time of year...I love loving and I love giving...not always something of monetary value...but something of value, period. 

Not only is it possible, it's probable many are down in spirit...feeling they've nothing positive in life.  There are many and I won't always know what they could need or use at any given moment.  I do watch though...watch eyes and body language.

Sharing is a precious thing...I can share a special thought...when God has done something in my life that fans my spark, maybe He will give me the opportunity to share with someone who could use a spark.  Watch their eyes...it's said the eyes are the windows to ones' soul.  Live and learn...worth trying.

The other night...M was out and about...I was 'home alone' when the doorbell rang.  Thinking it was him I hurriedly opened the door to discover a very nervous young boy standing there.
 
He asked if he could borrow my phone; I admit to having a few seconds of doubt.  Was this a part of a set-up?  Did he want to steal something?  Questions, questions!  Then I thought, "what if this was my boy?"...said yes and got my cell phone, he remained outside.  I dialed the number he gave me, put it on the speaker, then handed him the phone...praying all the while it was legitimate!

He and his mom...
"Mom, I need you to come and get me."  His bike was parked on my front sidewalk.
Seems he had been in the park w/a group and someone who had said they'd deliver he and his bike home...forgot and left w/o him. 
It was dark as could be and this little guy was scared out of his wits.
His mom chastised him and said he should ride on home; he repeatedly told her how scared he was and to please, please come and get him..NOW.
She finally relented and told him where to wait...the last thing he said was,
"Mom, please hurry...please hurry...I am REALLY scared."
Then he repeatedly thanked me and went to retrieve his bike. 
I called out, "Hey, don't be afraid...you'll be okay now." 
He said, "Okay, okay...I know".

Whatever the gift...you never know...might be a gift that gives on giving.
After all, the reason for the season is the One who gave the greatest gift of all.
The gift that keeps on giving...on and on...and on!
 
Blessed is the season which engages
the whole world in a conspiracy of love! 
Hamilton Wright Mabie
 
From my heart...to yours!
Vasca 
 
Photos courtesy of Snoopy.com

2 comments:

  1. Your posts are so upbeat! I love all the good stuff about Christmas -- the songs, the friendship and even the food. We make ourselves nuts when we think it has to be so perfect. It doesn't. The story of the young boy was so touching. We all were there once. Needed help and had to ask. Unfortunately these days, people are fearful to help. Back then, anyone would help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kate. Christmas is such a wonderful, warm time for most of the world...love it.
    The little boy had no idea of who or what would answer the door; he had lots of courage but when we're afraid, I think we must have extra bravado. He was so sweet...I fell in love!
    Happy you liked the post...and thanks again for reading and commenting. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete