Wednesday, December 18, 2013

QUIET MOMENTS

 
“Happiness is like a butterfly which,
when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but,
if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.”
Nathaniel Hawthorne
 
Christmas countdown began quite some time ago...getting serious now, right?  Some had their shopping finished, wrapped and stashed away almost a year ago for this year's event.  This season we've had Black Friday, Cyber Monday...sale after sale extended many times over. 
 
Of course, the weather had a hand in it...always possible and it really settled in this month.  Not just in our neck of the woods either.  This clipped wing put a crimp in any preparations at our house...we just enjoy everyone else's.
 
But you know, looking at that beautiful butterfly perched on the windowsill I began thinking about many different things.  I think my personal talks to myself began during the ice and snow.  Like?
 
Well, for starters...Christmas cards began speaking softly to me...sharing thoughts and family news from good friends.  Some of them perhaps we don't see for years on end...others we might see more often...like weekly, monthly...you know how it goes, right? 

I totally enjoy 'doing our cards'...okay, so they aren't exactly hand-made...but I do put them together on my trusty HP computer and do much of the printing on our HP printer.  Michael said it's been two years on this one; he figures he may need to get a replacement but 'old faithful' is on the job 100%.  
 
It's just special staying in touch with friends...no matter what.  This year I've shed lots of tears because things have happened in lives that touch my heart...almost to a breaking point.  Things, lives, people change, right?  Hopefully for the better but often, sad things occur and so...I weep & pray...for some happiness in their lives.

"The best way to pursue happiness is to help other people.
Nothing else will make you happier."
George Lucas

I just read that a Canadian gentleman won a $40 Million Dollar lottery; he's recently retired and stated that he had made wise provisions for he and his family so he is donating the entire amount to various charities.  One Internet question was "If you were his children, would you be mad?"
 
He had already addressed that in his first interview...his four children were to help him decide which charities would be recipients.  That pretty well answered the question.  Anyway, why would anyone...how could anyone be angry about that?  Some might be uptight...you think?  Yeah.

 
While many are very happy, content...no problems, there are many who are not so happy with the way things are going...but they put on a good front.
 
More blessed to give than receive?  Is it?  Christ said so...
King James version 'more blessed to give than receive' and
The Message 'you're  far happier giving than getting'.   
 
We know of a family suffering with serious health problems...a young mother with Stage 4 cancer and two little daughters.  They're in a state of disaster, financially...not to mention the physical and mental toll.  Fortunately some have stepped up to help...the family will have a somewhat happier holiday...thankful for blessings.  The givers?  Thankful and happy for the opportunity to help.
 
Another good friend has suffered enormous health problems this year; sadly they're unusual and dragging her health to the brink.  Thankfully they are 'covered' money-wise but need continual prayers...that's valuable coverage as well.  It breaks my heart that she suffers so much. I'm praying.
 
Some friends have lost their lifetime partners...that also breaks my heart but they seemingly have positive attitudes...and life goes on.
 
A newsman in one of the big cities takes photos (with permission, of course) and interviews the subject...asking what are some things that have really impressed them. 

A lovely, older woman said, “When my husband was dying, I said: ‘Moe, how am I supposed to live without you?’ He told me: ‘Take the love you have for me and spread it around.’”    

 
Sometimes, something quietly takes over and it's really more than a 'wow' moment...it's an everlasting touch. 
 
I am deeply touched by his reply.  
'Take the love you have for me...and spread it around.'.
 
Spreading love around is an awesome thing...true, money does
help...God knows who needs it and I can be open to opportunities to help people.  I will do that. 
 
Moe and Mother Teresa had the same idea...
 
“Let us not be satisfied with just giving money.
Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go.”
 
So, I'm talking to myself and to Father...
"Dear God, You are awesomely wonderful and loving...and I am blest with everything I could possibly want...or need.  I pray that my heart will always be open to encourage others:
to send out my love...everywhere I go...to everyone I meet. 
I want to be like your Son...that's His way & Yours!
 
I know the reason for the season and plan to think on it all year...Christmas..spreading is kind and nice! 

From my heart...to yours,
Vasca
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment