Wednesday, August 2, 2017

SHEEPISHLY YOURS...


"One of the things I learned the hard way was 
that it doesn't pay to get discouraged.
Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life
 can restore your faith in yourself."
Lucille Ball

I write to encourage others as well as myself...it's good therapy for me and I truly hope you find something in it as encouragement for yourself or perhaps you can encourage someone you bump into or already have in your life.  I certainly need encouragement...so much of the time.  Admittedly, I lose faith in myself as well.  And almost lose my faith where I shouldn't...my bad.

Recently, I found it quite easy to fall into feeling sorry for myself...another bad thing.  Michael and I have been going to therapy for four weeks...four days a week for two hours each time.  This has profited me probably as much or perhaps even more than it has Michael in that I have a drive inside me that I've not had...and believe me, I desperately needed it 'cause I'd been throwing way too many 'pity parties' for myself.

  
We've seen those that have all types of physical problems...problems that take grit galore to deal with...much more than what M and I are battling.  It's amazing to see how much effort can be expended from someone who can barely move a muscle but yet they do their best to learn how and what they can do to regain something they felt lost. 


"Always believe that something wonderful is about to happen"

Wonderful things happen everywhere, all the time...one just needs to keep their eyes open, their ears clean and their awareness on.  And oh, watching the caregivers with their charges...woohoo!  Wheelchairs, walkers, canes...you name it and they're in use.  Some caregivers look tired and rightly so.  It isn't easy being a 24/7 caregiver but people do it...lots and lots do it.  Why?  Because they care...they care a lot.  Some are spouses, kids, grandchildren, in-laws, friends, neighbors, professional nursing people.  

I never thought that M and I would be in this situation...who thinks about things like that?  Most don't.  They call growing older 'the Golden Age'...and one thinks about retirement and vacationing everywhere...growing old gracefully!  Who thinks about things like Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Dementia, Cancer, Autism, Diabetes, Strokes, Pureed diets, Feeding Tubes, Dialysis?  Whew...that's only the beginning.  

Michael and I married and we promised to take care of each other...'in sickness and in health' was a part of our marriage vow and that's important to us.  I know sometimes people part due to circumstances beyond their control...but I pray that never happens to the two of us.

I saw this posted somewhere and it really grabbed my heart;
"I Promise...
I'm putting my promise into practice."

Keeping my eyes open, listening to others while watching my love working for all he's worth...I've learned such great things and broadened my thinking.  A new me?  Well, not quite but an improvement that should help me be a better person.

M and I do homework and now that the therapy is finished w/professionals it's up to me to be the coach.  Me, who is in no way athletic or agile...I'm a klutz deluxe but hey!  All this therapy watching has somehow helped me to walk w/o staggering.  Never would've thought it.  

M's ability to improve is on our shoulders; we must keep the momentum going.  We're charging ourselves w/daily tasks that we mustn't fail to do.  So, what is our retirement going to be like from now on?  Hmm...
gonna' be pureed diet for a spell longer...
gonna' be physical exercise regimen twice a day...
gonna' be ah-ing vocal exercises twice a day...
gonna' be memory challenges whenever the coach says...
gonna' continue being happiness & love 24/7...
gonna' continue walking with God...He knows all the right moves !!!

(Rights to use these cartoons purchased from Dennis Cox) 

"The more things you do,
the more you can do."
Lucille Ball 

A while back, every morning I would tell myself...aloud...
Vasca, this is a new day.
You have the choice of making it a good day or a bad day.
I choose to make it a good day and do my best to...
be kind, loving, compassionate, forgiving, serving 
and helping others as best I can.
God, please help me to be like you want and know I can be.

I became negligent; shouldn't have!
Tomorrow morning I plan to resume doing it...
it's something extremely important and helpful...to me!

From my heart...to yours, 
Vasca 




4 comments:

  1. One day at a time....that all we are called to do....step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So encouraging!! It's almost as if I can hear you speaking to me as I read these! Thank you for sharing :)

    -Julie kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Julie. You encourage me with your words...I so needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your life experiences and how your strength in God prevails. God has promised to always be with us and he doesn't lie. We have to keep the faith and acknowledge his presence and be comforted and assured that He will guide us in love, mercy and grace. His grace is sufficient for us!!! Georgia

    ReplyDelete