Tuesday, December 5, 2017

GIFTING




For the past couple of years around Christmas time I've posted something about a 'Bucket List'.  I was tempted to do it again this year but decided you were familiar enough with those thoughts; time to move on a bit.  Still along that same train of thought...here's another look at 'the list'.

My life has changed so much; reality has moved in and I'm thankful for that.  I had denied reality and you've read before what Michael has always told me.  "Vasca, to deny reality is a temporary form of insanity."  And he's absolutely correct ~ I am facing reality and it isn't always pleasant...but it's very real...my 'new normal'...that's it.  

Got my game face on, game life going and here it is...just a few weeks 'til my favorite time of the year...Christmas.  I determined this was going to be a wonderful, happy one for M and so far it's working out well...even with the pot holes and snags!  Wouldn't you know it?      

Thanksgiving brings almost everyone to their knees with thankfulness; Christmas comes and there's such a special feeling in the air...how could I be anything but happy and warm...you know the feeling, right?  In some circumstances it takes a lot of effort/work but it's more than worth it.  I think that's what has and continues taking place in my life.  

"The best thing to give to your enemy is Forgiveness;
To an opponent, Tolerance;
To a friend, Your Heart;
To your child, A Good Example;
To a father, Deference;
To your mother, Conduct That Will Make Her Proud of You;
To yourself, Respect;
To all men, Charity."
Benjamin Franklin
Remembering way back now...when I was a little girl...Christmas was very simple.  Fresh fruit and nuts plus candy was in our stockings and one big gift from Santa.  I got baby dolls...Effanbee dolls.  I surprised myself by remembering the name and you know they're still around.                                  Oh Christmas was so wonderful.  
Surely there were angry people ranting around but I don't recall ever noticing any.  Now they're a constant roar in society...everyone is against something.  Why can't people just be content, happy, loving?  Wouldn't that be something?
I find smiles and showing interest in others usually brings out their good side...you find that?  
 I like what Thomas Monson wrote:The spirit of Christmas is the spirit of 
love and of generosity and of goodness. It illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world's busy life and become more interested in people than in things.

My grocery delivery man came this morning and I remembered his name, 'Mohammed', and welcomed him.  He and I had a chat a couple of weeks ago...there are many foreigners who make deliveries to our home.  I always ask where they're from and he told me he's from Iraq..been here less than ten years.  After I told him he was the first Iraqi I had ever met he opened up.  
Today he asked how I was doing and I told him we'd slept late.  He said he'd been up since 1 a.m and had been crying.  He proceeded to tell me he and his girlfriend broke up last night and he told me repeatedly she was a very, very nice girl...a good girl.  He even texted her mother and talked to her.  I told him I'd pray for them; he said he'd appreciate that.  He said he was going to go talk to her but didn't know what else to do.  I advised him to take her flowers (he said she loved flowers) and see what happened.  He said he'd keep me posted...he's nice.
That's what you do...you show people you're interested in them and their lives.  People need that...we all need that.  Time and interest.
That's what I do...I'm honestly interested in people and want to know what's taking place in their lives.  It's amazing what I learn by listening...just simply listening.  Whether they know it or not I pray for them...they are on my heart.
For Christmas I'm working on these gifts:ForgivenessToleranceBeing a good exampleShowing DeferenceRespectCharityAn Open Heart These are just a few things I am cultivating for my new 'normal'.
"Dear God, I pray the love and goodness that seems to be in the air right now will remain in our hearts every day...I am doing my best to see it stays that way in my life.  I pray this in your son's name, Amen."
From my  heart...to yours, Vasca 



                                   

1 comment:

  1. Vasca,your love and devotion speaks volumes!!! You are a jewel in the crown of life! ��❤��❤��❤��❤��
    Love you!!!
    Many blessings to you!
    L.MCNAIR

    ReplyDelete